Other Tradesman Insurance

Insurance for Contractors Working Across a Wide Range of Trades

Get a quote 01133960346
Icon images 570x375_Other Contractors.png


Protect yourself and your livelihood with the right insurance at the right price.

Your work may cover multiple trades, or perhaps you're more specialist; either way, you need the right tools in your toolbox, including appropriate insurance. Liability insurance for tradesmen protects against the unexpected – cover that's designed for you.

We're committed to protecting you and your business should the unthinkable happen. Working with a leading specialist insurer, we have negotiated high quality insurance at a competitive price for you.

If you become an NICEIC and ELECSA registered electrical contractor, you'll benefit from a 10% discount on the cost of your insurance.

Put us to the test

Our FREE no-obligation insurance health check will compare the cover, service and price you're getting with what we can provide. We'll identify if you're missing out on valuable enhanced benefits – and potentially save you money. We also include electrical vehicle charging installation insurance as standard, at no extra cost!

If you prefer to do things yourself, you can quickly and conveniently get a quote and buy online.

Over 12,000 contractors can't be wrong

Don't take our word for it. Our exceptional Feefo reviews from contractors speak for themselves. That's why we have been awarded an excellent customer service award – some of the five-star reviews have told us they had saved money, others have improved benefits and still saved money.*1 Also, 60% of contractors buying through us have paid less than £354.*2

Our comprehensive insurance cover for tradesmen

Working with specialist insurer, Covéa, we've developed insurance with you in mind. It's comprehensive, flexible, and affordable.

We Offer the Following*3

  • Public liability cover limits – £1 million, £2 million or £5 million available.

  • Employers liability cover of £10 million.


  • Cover for loss or damage to tools and office equipment.

  • Goods in transit.


  • Cover for contract works.

  • Cover for your own plant and hired in plant.

  • Cover for temporary employees up to 50 days per year.

  • Free 24 hour business legal helpline.

The Power Behind Your Business

NICEIC Insurance is here to help you with all your business insurance needs. From tradesman insurance, personal accident and short-term income protection to van insurance and premises insurance – we've got you covered.

Unlike many direct insurers or comparison sites, we're here to provide expert advice. We'll explain the finer details of your plumbing insurance cover, so you know exactly what you're protected for. This should give you peace of mind, leaving you to focus on looking after your customers.

Our support doesn't stop there. We're on-hand to guide you through the process of making changes to your cover – mid-term or at renewal, should your circumstances change. But, if you wish to do things yourself, our customer portal puts you in control. Download your documents, make adjustments and renew your policies online.

And, should the worst happen and you need to make a claim, we will help to make sure it's handled as quickly as possible.

Cover is available for tradesmen working in most domestic, commercial, and industrial premises in Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man. Cover is also provided for temporary work in the EU.


Get a quote 01133960346

Related FAQs

See all FAQs

I work in more than one trade. Can you cover this?

Yes, we offer cover for both primary and secondary trades. So, if you work mainly in one trade – for instance, as an electrician – select this as your primary, or main trade. Then, if you also work on occasion as a plumber, for example, you should choose this as your secondary trade.

What additional cover can my insurance include?

You can extend your electrical contractors insurance to include a range of optional extras such as employers liability and tools cover to deliver personalised insurance protection to suit your circumstances. We can also arrange other essential insurance covers, from personal accident and income protection to property and vehicle insurance.

Do I need public liability insurance as a contractor or tradesperson?

While public liability insurance isn't a legal requirement, it is strongly recommended for contractors and tradespeople since the nature of the job brings you into contact with clients and members of the public. That's because, no matter how careful you are, accidents do happen – and if an accident causes injury or property damage to a client or member of the public, you could find yourself faced with potentially expensive legal and compensation costs. Without public liability insurance, these costs would need to be funded from your own pocket.

Do contractors need income protection insurance?

Whether you take out income protection insurance as a contractor or tradesperson is a personal choice. Remember, though, that personal accident and short-term income protection insurance is designed to help replace lost income if you are ill or injured and unable to work. So, when deciding whether to take out this cover, think about how you would pay the bills if you were unable to work and earn for an extended period due to illness or injury. At NICEIC Insurance, we've made it easy to add personal accident and short-term income protection cover to your main contractors insurance policy at a competitive price, so you can protect your livelihood. It is important to say that not only will you will be covered if you have an accident or illness whilst at work, you will also be covered in your spare time – for example, if you are injured whilst playing sport or at the gym and are unable to work.

Do I Need Employers Liability Insurance?

There are some exceptions, but if your business has at least one employee, then the likelihood is you will need employers liability insurance – remember too that temporary workers, "labour-only" subcontractors, volunteers and people doing work experience all count as employees for the purposes of insurance. The Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Regulations 1998 made employers liability insurance cover of at least £5 million compulsory for any individual or company with employees. The exceptions include: - Limited companies where the owner is the only employee and owns 50% or more of the issued shares. - Businesses that are not limited companies and only employ close family members.

Do I need cover for my own premises?

If you operate your business from a shop, office, workshop, or any other commercial property, it is essential to look closely at commercial/business property insurance. This will protect you and help you get up and running more quickly if the building is affected by a serious incident like a fire or a flood.

*1 https://www.niceic-and-elecsa-insurance.com/news-and-information/niceic-and-elecsa-insurance-services-wins-an-exceptional-service-award/


*2 Click here to view our pricing disclaimer.

*3 Cover may differ dependent upon insurer. As with most insurance – terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. You can request full details by simply contacting us.

Related News

Business Continuity Planning For Contractors

24th August 2021

What is a business continuity plan and how do you write it? With appropriate continuity planning you can protect your business and avoid disaster.

FREE, no obligation insurance health check

3rd December 2020

To receive your free, no obligation insurance health check, please contact us.

What Does Employers Liability Insurance Cover?

26th November 2020

What Does Employers Liability Insurance Cover? If you’re a subcontractor you may be covered under your employer’s EL policy, but it depends what type…

Working During the Pandemic - What You Need to Know About Insurance

2nd July 2020

View the webinar hosted by Darren Staniforth, Senior Group Technical Presenter, with guest speakers from NICEIC and ELECSA Insurance Services.

Existing customers